Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Too much fun in the sun

As so often happens, I have one project in mind but get distracted and do much more. 

On Sunday I wanted to clean out the small garden on the south side of the house and then plant more than 60 lily bulbs.  All was well at first, but then I decided I would replant my potted tree bougainvillea in the back yard into one end of new garden.  As I walked back and forth from the back yard, I stopped several times to pull weeds in the long garden in the front yard.  Finally I got back to planting the rest of the lilies.  Through all these activities, the sun was walking across the sky and reducing the shade I had started with.

During these trips I stopped twice to rest and drink some water, recognizing some signs of heat exhaustion.  But I continued to finish my project.  When I finally did finish and went onto the patio to rest and drink, I got sick.  I should have known better.

And now I do.  My task for today was to fix the three sprinklers that were flooding, or one if that was all I could manage.  Fortunately, the fixes were relatively easy -- with a little help from my husband to free broken plastic pipe stuck inside the sprinkler head -- and I accomplished all three within an hour.  

Luckily we haven't needed sprinklers for a week since we've been getting steady afternoon rain storms of an inch or more. 

The next step in the lily project is putting down mulch, on Friday, and then I can sit back and watch for the lilies to emerge. 

More later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment