Friday, June 11, 2010

Lovely surprises

On my frequent walks around our community, I am often enveloped in a cloud of lemony scent that means a blooming magnolia is nearby.  This morning, as I prepared to mulch my new bed of lilies, I detected the faint scent.  I turned and discovered my magnolia in the front yard adorned with the creamy white cup of the flower beginning to bloom (above).  This is a relatively new tree so the branches are still sparse with leaves, but how joyous that it is blooming again.

After the mulching, I retreated to the back yard and discovered the magnolia there in bloom, as well -- one opening and another bud just above.  This tree is also small because the trunk's leading branch was broken 2 years ago.  It's more of a bush, which I'm willing to accept if it keeps blooming.

As I looked over the rest of the garden nearby, I was happy to see the dwarf powder puffs growing and blooming like crazy (below).  They are fulfilling my vision for the garden, as I hope they will grow taller and fill the back area of the fence with their color.





No comments:

Post a Comment