Monday, June 28, 2010

Up on the roof top

Despite my best intentions, I have not been able to get into the gardens for a few weeks.  Both higher-priority projects and physical conditions have interfered.   The physical is always present -- sore hip primarily -- and this time was caused by the higher-priority: cleaning out the gutters on the roof.  What makes the job difficult is the placement of the gutters: below the roof-edge wedged next to the structure of the pool screen.  The only access from the top of the roof.  The only tool I have found to work is a plastic kitchen spatula that will fit through the narrow opening and dig through and force out the layer of matted leaves and grit on the bottom.  Once the bulk is loosened and pushed toward the drain spout, a hose will wash most of it down the spout as well.  It's a tedious chore and not one I can complete in a day like I used to. 

The heat got me the first day, even though I started about 9 a.m.  However, it did engender a thought about a new tactic.  As leaves had scattered across the roof, I ended that day trying to sweep them off and not back into the gutters.   I sure could use a leaf blower, I thought.  And then as I looked at what was left of the job for the next day, I realized the gutters were actually overflowing for an inch or two with very dry leaves.  Yes, I would try a leaf blower, which I would have to buy.

The next time on the roof was not the exact next day, but when I did get up there, I was very pleased with the results of the blower.  I'm not sure my neighbors appreciated the effort, though, because I had decided I would have to beat the heat and started the job shortly after 7 a.m.   The blower cut the time probably in half. 

Fortunately, last week was a dry one.  Now we are getting almost daily showers and, thankfully, no more overflow on the gutters. 

Maybe I'll get back to the gardens tomorrow.... if the rain holds off until after lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment