Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Air, earth and water

There is a sense of release in ridding the gardens of weeds, or grasses as mine are mostly. That was my plan for today.

I woke before seven, pulled on a bathing suit, pants and shirt and headed outdoors in the cooler air before the heat of day could intrude. 

My first task was a holdover from last week: climb the tall ladder and trim the crape myrtle branches nearing the roof's edge.  It was an easy chore, taking only a few minutes.

Since my pool garden fills with wild grasses that blur the landscape I have envisioned, my second task was pulling out the grass.  Afterward, I relished the scene as the red caladiums (or is it caladia?) have more than doubled in number and size this year and, in designer parlance, "make a statement" in the center of the garden.  I have caladiums scattered in other gardens and want to add more, especially the red varieties.

That garden done, I headed to the garden along the fence to check on plant growth, pulling weeds here and there.  The garden behind the pool screen was next.  It too was full of wild grasses, embellished with several other spreading weeds.  They were gone in half an hour and I could dead-head the roses as I traveled the length. 

Last but not least today was fertilizing the roses and the magnolias. 

Then came the best part of the morning:  I eased into the pool to cool off, swam a few laps and sat on the steps to absorb the beauty around me. 

Life is good and I am so blessed.

* An added note: I've commented about following in my father's gardening footsteps; today is his birthdate, 99 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment