Friday, July 16, 2010

A Dry Summer

The heat is so unbearable now that I can't bear the thought of working in the yard anymore.  Most of the plants look like they can't bear the heat either.  And where is the rain that seems to be saturating the rest of the county and Orlando?  We here in South Brevard are dried out.  

Two bright spots have emerged, however.  The dwarf powder puffs are covered in blooms and the bulbs I planted last month have emerged into tall, strong leaves.  I don't know if I'll get flowers on them this year, but that garden looks so much better than the weed-filled plot it used to be.  

I'm happy to say, too, that my honeysuckle plant has climbed the arbor side and now I'm trying to coax it across the top.  It has blooms, too, with a light scent so far.  The clematis next to it stopped blooming, though, and it is supposed to flower through fall.   Maybe cooler weather will coax it into another outburst.

The next chore I'll have to tackle soon is clearing out the vegetable garden.  The tomatoes gave up weeks ago when the intense heat arrived.  I'm not sure what my next step will be -- baking the garden?  planning a fall crop?  Any suggestions will be welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I haven't had much luck either with my Tomatoes here in Rhode Island either with the heat waves we have been having.

    ReplyDelete