Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Fall renews the gardens

The past three months were among the worst we have encountered in our 30+ years here.  Ninety degree temperatures dominated week after week, then in September we had daily rain storms rivaling many tropical storms or even hurricanes.  Some daily totals were 5-7 inches.  The only plants thriving in this chaos were the weeds! 

This year I encountered the snowbush caterpillar.  My beautiful pink- and red-leaved bushes suddenly were reduced to naked stalks and stems.  First I found the caterpillars and then noticed the black-nosed moths (they looked more like moths than butterflies) here and there.  I sprayed the bushes with insecticide and then started searching the internet for a clue to what they are.  Finally I found a you-tube video by a horticultural professor that explained.  He himself had encountered them in his own gardens.  The strange thing is, according to the professor, they were never a problem until about 5 years ago!   Who knows what brought them to our Florida doorstep.  His recommended treatment for serious infestation was using Sevin, in several treatments. I thought I might have a chance to save the bushes because there were new buds showing on the branches.  I soaked the bushes including the ground underneath.  Within a week, new leaves were appearing.  I treated them a week later.  Now several weeks later, the bushes are full again!



Another successful venture has been the phenomenal growth of the sky vine I planted in the Spring next to the trellis.  This is the first vine I have planted that not only has thrived but is blooming beyond belief.  The vines have densely covered the side and most of the top of the trellis, putting out flowers along the way.  The most amazing blooming is the long stems growing down from the top with blossoms cascading like purple chandeliers.  Below are two examples.

If I have any disappointment, it is that the trellis is out of sight from the house except for the bedroom window behind it.  I am thinking of planting another one on the fence behind the house so I can see the blooms from the breakfast table.  Next year, maybe.

Much of the rest of the gardens have been nearly dormant all summer because of the heat.  But now with cooler temperatures beginning to show, I am hopeful other plants will be renewed, especially the roses.  They have usually produced their best blooms in the fall and winter.

Meanwhile, I am locked into weeding every week while the weeds keep spreading. 

Enjoy your Fall!

Ciao,
Anita

1 comment: