Monday, September 2, 2013

What price summer?

In more than 30 years in Florida, I don't remember a summer, especially August, so continuously hot.  My garden upkeep has been sporadic at best, starting about 7 or 7:30 a.m. when I feel up to it.  I try to stay in the shade and if the sun makes its searing heat felt, I quit. 

That's what happened this morning as I made my way to the vegetable garden that sits in the NE corner of the back yard.  I laughingly call it a garden because the truth is it is a jungle right now.... or was until I tamed it.  There was no sign of the pepper plants that were the last to bear.  I had pulled the dead tomato and parsley plants at least a month ago, as they had faded and collapsed in the unbearable heat.  But I'll tell you what didn't collapse:  weeds!  crabgrass!  Johnson grass!  and more!  I was certain frogs and snakes had moved in but happily saw no sign of them.

It took a shovel to begin loosening the root systems before pulling anything.  That's why my hands gave out after two hours.  Some of the roots were 8 inches or more deep. 

I'm sorry to admit the garden is only 90% weeded because I couldn't bend or pull another stalk.  Plus, the last section was squarely in the sun.  Yes, I know, that was a poorly planned attack on the weeding.  I should have started on that end. 

Once finished, I have a quandary about how to keep it weed-free over the winter.  Does anyone have any ideas?  The last time I tried a black cloth weighted by mulch there were still some weeds growing through it by the spring. 

The summer has not been all bad, however.  Some of my flowering plants have done well, blooming frequently:  the dwarf powder puff and the ixora are very colorful now.  The roses bloom sporadically.  The most prolific and unusual have been the snow-on-the-mountain bushes.  As if their new leaves aren't colorful enough, the bushes have sprouted their flower stalks, putting a halo of pink across the top.   Below are the newly planted bush and the mature plants, both in bloom.


 


When you live up north, gardeners typically spend their winters dreaming and planning their gardens for the spring.  Just the opposite is true here in Florida; at least for me.  I already have ordered some beautiful red star lilies I want to plant near the front door.  And since my honeysuckle is nearing its demise, I'm considering what other vining plant(s) I could replace it with. 

That is all I have to add today.  I hope your gardens grow well.

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment