Wednesday, October 2, 2013

New blooms in fall


Finally there is a change in the weather patterns and somewhat cooler temperatures are prevailing.  I spent 2 hours working in the gardens this morning and the air was actually comfortable.  First on the to-do list was pruning the roses.  That accomplished, I moved on to pruning a small topiary by the front door.  This is a plant that I had had potted on the screened porch of the front door and didn't do well: one side died.  I moved it to the garden that runs in front of the house.  After a year or more, it is finally filling out and requires trimming.

Weeding was an afterthought as I moved through the gardens.  Funny how only certain areas had weeds while the rest was weed-free. 

Next on the garden chore list is fertilizing and mulching.

Besides the weather change, Fall brings flowers on some species.  Several trees in the neighborhood are blooming now.

               
 
The ixoras in the front yard have been blooming all summer and are still full.  Although not blooming, the magnolia has been growing well so I have high hopes for a better Spring than last.  I had a surprise while weeding.  In one garden where I had had hanging baskets of flowers, the baskets are long-gone but they left seeds behind that are now growing and flowering on the ground.  I'm letting them stay to spread as ground cover.
 
In a month, the roses should be blooming again.  There have been sporadic blossoms over the hot, hot summer, but they jump to life again with the cooler temperatures.  They won't get much rain, but the sprinklers take care of the water needs. I hope to have good photos of their blooming.
 
That's all for now.  Happy gardening.
 
Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment