Thursday, June 27, 2013

Is Summer Over?

I can't say we really had Spring this year.  My last post talked about the new growth of so many of my plants; within 2 months the plants are showing summer stress, especially the roses and tomatoes.
Tomatoes ready to pick--early June
First harvest -- June               





 We had a fairly steady harvest every few days for a month, but only two green ones are left and no further flowers showing.  Normally this stage doesn't happen until mid-July, but unusual high temperatures early in the season have shortened our growing season.

One plant has enjoyed the high heat, though, and that's the Queen of the Nile lily.  One of four plants I have is a good producer and put up two stalks this year.  It's in the pool garden.
Queen of the Nile

I have younger plants outside the pool area which have doubled in size but no sign of flower stalks yet.  Hope springs eternal in the garden.

I did some pruning of bushes and trees early this month, but Mother Nature apparently decided I needed more.  My husband and I came home from a weekend in Jacksonville (celebrating our grandsons' birthdays) to find a large branch of the ash tree lying on the ground in the backyard.  There had been strong, gusty winds the night before and the branch just snapped.  A few weeks before, the oak tree in the front yard lost a few branches, too, but this was a first for the ash.  Unfortunately, the garden below has been left in a lot more sun, which doesn't bode well for the azaleas.  Only time will tell.

An update on the magnolia in the front yard. It has recovered from early insect damage and finally has grown new leaves.  Last night I noticed a flower bud, so there is hope again for more. I saw at a medical pavilion what my tree could/should look like and I keep trying to channel those images to the tree.  Don't know if that works, but I've tried everything else.

I'd love to see pictures of your gardens, especially the ones up north.  I miss so many of those flowers.

Have a great summer.

Ciao,
Anita

1 comment: