Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I didn't realize how long it had been since my last posting.  My excuse is I've been very busy working in my gardens and lawn, sandwiched in between traveling, a visit from my sister-in-law, preparing for a bathroom renovation, and all my regular activities.  Who said retirement was all rest and relaxation?

Repairing the lawn has been a major focus over the past month.  I planted St. Augustine grass plugs in two bare spots on the front lawn.  Keeping them watered has been a chore.... dragging out the hose and standing for 10 minutes or so at each site.  That may not sound difficult, but when your joints don't tolerate the inactivity, it hurts.

In the back yard, I expanded the area needing sod in front of the screen door.  I added 12 more squares and have had to keep them watered as well.

More pleasant has been the addition of other plants.  I decided to add ground color around the transplanted magnolia.  There is now a circle of pink begonias around the trunk and blue daze ground cover (small round leaves with small blue flowers) behind, next to the fence.   With the pink powder puff nearby that I planted 2 months ago, there should be ample color as they grow and fill the space.

I tried to do the same color-fill in the opposite corner (SE) where I had planted the arborvitae.  I love the look and shape of caladiums so I planted one each on three sides (each is a different variety but all are red).  The outside edge/corner was still looking bare because the ixora I planted 2 years has not grown at all (it froze over the winter).  So I opted to dig it out and replace it with another snow bush since
my other ones are thriving. 

Other additions include several more cayenne peppers and two Thai pepper plants. 

I'm happy to report that I picked the first ripe tomato from one of my plants.  It was so delicious, eaten without embellishment.  Another is ripening, just orange right now.  And all the tomato plants are showing fruit, so I'm hopeful for a bountiful crop.

Also blooming is the magnolia in the front yard.  At one point, four flowers were open at once.  Below is a sample.  And there are many more buds on the tree.

That's all for now.  Be sure to stop and "smell the roses" each day.

2 comments:

  1. Hey retirement ain't for sissies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How envious I am of the beautiful plants you can grow in Florida! And tomatoes already...... We just planted ours!

    ReplyDelete