Thursday, May 19, 2011

A flurry of flowers

Cooler morning temperatures have enticed me into the gardens again.  That and a stroll through Lowe's garden center where color catches my eye at every turn.  Looking at my gardens with a designer's eye, I realized there was a lot of open space around my plants in the fence garden (south side).  Pleased with the growth of the blue daze I planted in the rose garden, I decided to add some to the magnolia area a few weeks ago.  They are doing quite well in the back near the fence (so are the pink begonias in front).  The magnolia itself has put out some new leaves on existing branches but no new buds have grown on the bare stems although they are there.
  


As a result of the blue daze growth, I decided to add more along the length of the garden, snaking around the existing plants.  The little blue flowers are a nice contrast to the green leaves and red flowers of the knockout roses, powder puff flowers and caladiums.


I then decided to add a few to the SE corner area.  They flank the powder puff in the middle, and are in turn flanked by the red caladiums there and the snow bushes on either side.


That trip to Lowe's also resulted in my bringing home another canna.  It's one of a tropical series in a lovely shade of pink.  I'm sure it will do as well as the others I planted more than a month ago.


Other successes in my gardens (seen below) are the snow bushes behind the pool, the blooming Lily of the Nile (all my lilies now have flower stalks rising), the trellissed roses, the clematis now intertwining both high and low with the honeysuckle, and my vegetable garden.  We have started harvesting tomatoes and peppers.

         

 
  



It's not hard to see where my retirement passion lies.  But I am a fair (cool) weather gardener and I do not relish the coming of the five- to six-month hot, humid Florida summer. 

It's almost time to fertilize the roses.  Be sure to fertilize and nourish your dreams, too.











2 comments:

  1. Well, you're ahead of me on the tomatoes and peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you will probably picking ripe tomatoes throughout the summer, whereas our production will end in July.

    ReplyDelete