Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hurry, Spring

It's time to resurrect the garden corner.  Other than raking leaves, there hasn't been much to do in the gardens during the past few months.  But I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I will do in the spring.  Some of my ideas include removing the nearly dead azalea in front of the house and filling the void with the stunted magnolia from the corner of the back yard.  It's evident that corner doesn't get enough sun for the magnolia.  The front yard offers more, and the new site is near the magnolia I planted in the fall, which, by the way, is hearty and showing new buds through all the branches. 

The break in the weather -- high 70s for a change -- is just what I needed to jump-start my garden genes.  I spent 2 hours this morning digging out the many weeds in my vegetable garden and reinforcing the fence line where the neighbor's dogs try to dig under.  I was happy to find last year's parsley is still growing.  I will add fertilizer in a few days and that will be all until I'm ready to plant: tomatoes, of course, and cayenne peppers, plus perhaps a new vegetable.  

While I was outside, I also pruned my holly tree.  It had a side branch that was shooting up and competing with the leader.  I checked many of my other plants and was pleased to see that there didn't seem to be much freeze damage, as there was last year.  Moreover, I've been blessed with roses, honeysuckle and bougainvillea blooming continuously.

That's all for today.         

  

2 comments: