Monday, November 15, 2010

Plants as sculpture

On my walks and drives through the neighborhood, I have been fascinated with a giant palm that stands in the middle of a front yard lawn (left).  With its current size, it looks like a giant sculpture.

The tree is a Bismarck palm, native to Madagascar where it can grow to 70 feet.  In U.S. gardens in the South, it will grow to 40 or 50 feet.  It is nearly insect-proof and disease- proof. 

Another striking plant I admire on my walks is a neighbor's bird of paradise.  The nearly 8-foot tall bush anchors a corner of the house and is striking when morning sun hits it.  I had no luck trying to grow the bird of paradise when we first moved to Florida, so I really admire others' efforts.

I thought I was finished planting for the fall, but my granddaughter has requested we plant some flowers when she comes to stay with us next week.  That will be fun!

Until then.....

No comments:

Post a Comment