Monday, November 8, 2010

The promise of winter color

What wonderful cool weather we are having!  It makes garden work so much nicer.  I spent Saturday morning planting pansies all around the rose garden for additional punches of color during the winter months, a new rose bush on one end of the garden to replace a dead one, and red geraniums to fill the spot where I had to dig out a dead boxwood. 

The rose bush is a Chrysler Imperial (below) -- red roses with a strong, beautiful scent. It is rivaled only by the Mr. Lincoln that anchors the other end of the oval garden.



I'm hoping the rose garden will balance the yard in color as the front island is exploding with red from the ixora and the bougainvilleas, seen below.



 
The final planting for the morning was an arborvitae that I put in the large urn in the SE corner of the garden in the back yard.  It sits behind the magnolia.  I have a few others, on the side and in front of the house.  I love their spreading "arms" that give such distinctive shape to each plant.  I  hope the new one will do as well in the urn.

That's all for this week.  I'll be spending the next 5 days preparing for and enjoying my daughter and grandsons who will be here for 4 days.

1 comment: