Saturday, May 1, 2010

Immersed in scent

I love walking out my front door, or walking to the door from the car, and being enveloped in the heady aroma of roses.  Many years ago I experienced that at a friend's house and knew I wanted to have it too.  So my main rose garden is an island about 6 feet from the front walk that holds, right now, a dozen bushes. 

My favorite rose is Mr. Lincoln because not only of its beauty but the strong, heavenly scent it radiates.  Actually, I don't plant any rose that doesn't have a strong scent.  Too many hybrids have lost the true rose aroma. 

I picked a Mr. Lincoln rose last week (at right) that was just opening.  By the time it opened fully, it was at least 6 inches across.  I used to look for antique and heritage roses (my favorite was Othello) but the nursery stopped carrying them. 

I take no credit for the beauty or success of my roses -- it's all in God's hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment