Monday, October 25, 2010

Unexpected corners of beauty

I walk at least a mile around my neighborhood nearly every night.  While the walk is for exercise, I get to enjoy the landscapes of all the homes enroute, watching growth of trees, flowers blooming and any changes the neighbors have made.  Over the course of 30 years, our once-new community has morphed into a settled and mature community,
landscape wise. 

Last week, I walked up a street I hadn't trod for a few years since it's an out of the way cul-de-sac.  As I approached the corner, a cloud of orange and salmon floated over the tops of two trees.  Another look up the street revealed a few more.  What produced this unique sight?  They are Golden Rain trees, also known as flame gold.  You can see them at the top of this column and also at right.  They produce small yellow flowers in the spring and summer and then, in the fall, sport "fruits" commonly called Chinese Lanterns.  These papery husks are held above the green foliage and retain their pink-red color
for many months.

So for a few more weeks, we get to enjoy the fall beauty of these trees.  And I'll go back to looking for more corners of unexpected beauty.

More later....

1 comment: