Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Out with the old again

After much thought about the condition of the magnolia and repeated tests for any greenness in the stems, I concluded it was dead.  That decision then begged the question, what do I do with it -- replace it or fill the hole?  I decided to try again and yesterday visited my favorite nursery in Brevard.  A half hour later my car was filled with a six- or seven-foot Little Gem magnolia and 2-cubic-foot bag of planting soil. For those who live in states with rich soil, we in Florida (especially near the coast) need to add enrichments to the sand when planting anything.

I put off planting until this morning.  Considering the size of the root ball, I had to enlarge the space I previously allotted for a smaller tree, which meant considerable digging. I had used a dolly to move the tree from my driveway to the site of the planting, but now I needed to maneuver it carefully with gloved hands.  

The first task was removing the plastic pot.  Banging the sides of the pot, which I do with smaller plants, wouldn't work (I tried) so I found a length of thin metal that I was able to wedge down the sides and loosen the roots and soil.  After laying the tree on its side, I gave several hard pulls.  Finally, the root ball seemed to nudge.  I then moved to the bottom end and pulled on the pot.  Another hard jerk and the pot gave way, sliding easily off.  I loosened the roots on the bottom and sides and rolled it toward and into the hole.  Success!  My tree was upright and barely damaged.

I filled the hole in stages, pressing down the soil and watering each level to ensure no air pockets and a solid base.  I hope the tree continues to look as good as it does now, seen in the photo.  There are several flower buds on the tree, so I might get some blooms while the weather stays warm.
The large pile of dirt I removed didn't go to waste as I used it to fill depressions and gullies which my lawn service creates with its huge mower. 

I previously mentioned that I'd done some severe pruning on my rose bushes.  They looked so bare and unappealing for a week or two, but I can now report they are sporting new foliage and a few buds, so they are thriving.  Yea!

I will have more photos next time taken on my walks around the neighborhood.  Fall-blooming trees are at their peak right now.

More later....

No comments:

Post a Comment