Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The light of fall

Even though we don't have trees turning orange and yellow, I can still tell that the season is heading for fall.  How?  The light.  Perhaps it's the angle of the sunlight, or some other meteorological explanation, but I have always responded viscerally to the light as it falls across my path this time of year.  I especially sense it as I'm driving along tree-lined roads.  There is a stretch of I-95 driving north from here where the divided highway is suddenly encased by trees on both sides, effectively blocking traffic on the other side.  Whether morning or afternoon, I detect the subtle changes in light during each season.  For me, fall is special, it's romantic and exhilirating.  And in Florida, it also means new growing opportunities, as in the clematis I said previously had begun new growth.  Here are a photo of the new flowers plus the honeysuckle berries I said I had noted last week:

One of the September chores I hate to do but is necessary is trimming the rose bushes.  The gardening gurus I've researched say to cut the main stems by about one-third.  I admit to not cutting that much all the time, but I still cut quite a bit where the bushes have many branches and stems.  The exception are my climbing roses where I trim back only to an upward-facing growth bud.  Fortunately for viewing pleasure, the roses always rebound quickly and I know in a few weeks the bushes will be full of new green leaves and stems and flower buds will reappear. I see better growth and flowering through the fall and winter.  The roses survived last winter's freezes better than my other plants.

I will make another foray to the garden center on Friday for grass plugs and check on the availability of the pansies I want.  Saturday is delegated for more digging and planting.  Enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment