Monday, October 1, 2012

How can it be October?


September was such a busy month:  a college reunion and a visit with my cousin, to be followed this week by a trip to Jacksonville to take care of my grandsons.  Hardly time to spend in the gardens.

My college reunion was wonderful, spending time with long-time friends.  The leaves in Allentown, Pa., were just beginning to turn but the copper beech trees were magnificent.  I wish we could grow them in Florida.  See the photo of a copper beech below.

The visit with my cousin was equally wonderful.  I was blown over by her vintage home worthy of a museum, and especially the gardens and landscaping around it.  Here are a few photos:



 
 

Here is a photo of a copper beech that I snapped in another yard:
 
I finished the month of September with a big pruning of all my rose bushes.  It was hard to do because many of them were still blooming.  I left a few flowers on the bushes and will prune those branches when they fade.
 
I can't do any more  until after I return from Jacksonville next weekend.  Then will begin the cleanup for the winter.  I don't look forward to the leaf fall.  Maybe I'll wait longer between rakings; six times was a bit much last year. 
 
Enjoy the fall in your gardens.


1 comment: