Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Labor breeds labor?

Don't you love it when your plans come together and you can yell, SUCCESS!   That's how I felt last weekend when I changed a few sprinkler heads and they are now working as planned.  I have a couple more to replace in the back yard, but the front yard should be thriving again soon, especially if the rainy season kicks in soon.  So far, only areas north and west of us have been getting any of the forecast rain.

Perhaps it is the constant reconstruction that has been going on in my house the last 3 weeks (bathroom renovation), but I got the bug to start my own garden renovation.  Some years ago I had added a brick path the length of our driveway so that anyone exiting the car on the passenger side didn't have to step into the grass.  My new project is widening the top of the path with similar bricks and blocks.  Part of the reasoning is that a boxwood bush near the path was half dead and I also found myself cutting through that garden strip to get into the yard and/or the nearby rose island. 

The project first required pulling out the boxwood and a couple of dwarf liriope (which I transplanted) and then digging out the dirt.  I filled a 40-gallon bucket to start.

Yesterday I bought the 12" stone blocks (with a brick pattern) and decorative edging so today was labor day.  Have you ever tried to fit square, or linear, stone along a curved edge?  There are corners and spaces left but all the pieces were in place in about 2-1/2 hours.   At that point my back was yelling at me to stop, so I did. 

Some of the dirt I dug up I spread around bare spaces in the yard but I still have most of that 40-gallon bucket left.  I may just dump it in the vegetable garden for a change in its composition.

The gaps in the brick addition I think I will fill with colored glass stones.  If I can find them.  I'll be hunting online later to see if local stores have them.

Tomorrow I will be back in the gardens planting more blue daze ground cover.  The ones I planted a week or two ago are thriving so I have several more places I can put them.

That's all for now.  Keep smelling the roses to sweeten your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment